- TED look for different applicants than many other leadership-oriented programs. Instead of business people, policy wonks and government officials, the TED Fellows program focuses on doers, makers, inventors, advocates, filmmakers and photographers, musicians and artists, scientists, entrepreneurs, NGO heads, and human rights activists.
- In addition to impressive accomplishment, fine character and a good heart are also important traits we look for in TED Fellows. More than anything, this focus on character has defined the success of the TED Fellows program.
- An idea worth spreading!
- A completed online application consisting of general biographical information, short paragraphs on your work and three references. (It’s fun, and it’ll make you think…)
- You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- You must be fluent in English.
- You must be excited to participate in a collaborative, interdisciplinary global community.
- You must be available May 29–June 4, 2021.
- You become part of a diverse, collaborative and global community of more than 500 emerging and established experts.
- You receive professional development through virtual workshops and webinars.
- You gain valuable feedback from TED’s expert coaches on how to hone, express and communicate your work and your ideas.
- You will give a TED Talk (at a virtual or live event, depending on the state of the global pandemic).
- You’ll receive career coaching and mentorship from our team of professional coaches.
- You’ll get public relations guidance and media training.
- You’ll participate in virtual programming for TED Fellows.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in and contribute to a thriving and connected global community.
- You will get a possible invitation to attend the special TEDMonterey conference in Monterey, California. (Note: while we are currently planning on an in-person conference in Monterey [May 29–June 4, 2021], given the global pandemic this conference may be cancelled and the TED Fellowship may become entirely virtual. This will depend on expert advice and local health safety protocols.)
- TED are currently planning to invite our next class to an in-person conference in Monterey (May 29- June 4, 2021), given the global pandemic this conference may be canceled and the TED Fellowship may become entirely virtual, depending on expert advice and local health safety protocols. As always, the process of Fellows preparing their TED Talks with the TED Fellows team will be done virtually through online meetings, as well as additional Fellows programming.
The selection process
TED Fellows are selected by the program staff, with extensive reference checking and consultation with experts across all fields.
There is no algorithm for how we select our TED Fellows. We select Fellows based on their accomplishments in their respective fields, the potential impact of their work and also their character. The ideal applicant is multidisciplinary and collaborative in their pursuits and is at a moment in their career to maximize the support of the TED community.
For More Information:
Application Deadline:August 24, 2020 at 11:59pm UTC.