A woman has reportedly been confirmed dead after her husband reportedly set their Lagos home ablaze during a fight they had.
Punch reported that the woman succumbed to the injuries she sustained after their house at Ifesowapo Street, Asolo-Agbede, in Ikorodu area of Lagos State was set on fire by her husband, after their argument degenerated into a physical fight.
The woman identified simply as Ebere was locked inside the apartment by her husband, before setting it ablaze. She was said to be shouting and writhing in pain when her husband, who could no longer bear his wife’s cry, attempted to open the door.
The intensity of the fire caught up with the man when he opened the house, and it was learnt that Ebere who suffered severe burns on her chest, hand and other parts of her body died at a hospital she was rushed to.
A neighbour who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he was sitting at his passage when Ebere suddenly ran downstairs, sat on the floor and wriggled in pain on October 9, 2021.
The neighbor said;
“We only saw that her hands were burnt; she was telling us to rush her to a hospital. So, we rushed her to the Aduraking Hospital and Maternity. It was when we got there that I discovered that her chest was also burnt. From there, she was referred to the Ikorodu General Hospital.
“The hospital used an ambulance to convey her to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, where she was admitted for treatment. After struggling for survival, she died a week after being hospitalised at LASUTH.
“Since then, we have not seen her husband. We learnt that he was also burnt and was receiving treatment in another hospital. No one knew anything was happening until his wife rushed downstairs with burnt hands. I don’t know the cause of the fight, but I have been reading different stories online.”
A Toyota Camry car reportedly belonging to Ebere’s husband was parked in front of the couple’s residence after the fight, and a resident of the area told the publication that the fight between the couple bordered on allegations of infidelity.
The source said;
“The fire also affected the husband. His wife, who was inside the building, could not survive the injuries she sustained when she got burnt. It was the husband that used petrol to set their apartment ablaze.”